Monday, July 11, 2005

Young Endeavour Day 1: Alongside Cairns

I woke up to see another young endeavour bag in my room (very exciting).
The bag belonged to Alex, 21 from south bank. In his final semester of excersise science. He works as a porter in the Stamford plaza(I think) as well as at Jam Factory. We checked out the cairns esplanade which overlooks mudflats. We passed a playground there was a sign right next to it warning of crocodiles in the area – guess those tough Queensland kids start their croc wrestling early. There is this cool lagoon sort of makes a horizon with the ocean.


05young endeavour 008
Originally uploaded by tommygunns.




I quickly wrote some emails and we started lugging the extremely uncomfortable but attractive young endeavour bags to the pier. At about 3pm we boarded the ship. I made final sms contact with outside world and took the last step from solid ground for what I thought would be the next 10 days.

I unloaded my stuff into my locker and met my roommates. Marty 18ish from Newcastle, plays in a oldies rock band called the retro-jets and surfs a lot. Under him was Luke 21 from Sydney who works at Fox Studios below him was Alex I don’t know where he was from he was pretty young like 17. Under me was Gary 23 the woggish Holden nut from Latrobe valley area and below him was Jesse from Albury 16 but he looked older than me.


05young endeavour 009
Originally uploaded by tommygunns.



05young endeavour 010
Originally uploaded by tommygunns.



05young endeavour 011
Originally uploaded by tommygunns.






We went upstairs to midships to be welcomed by captain Phil followed by our XO(2IC(2nd in charge))) Dion. Dion stressed that we should not pursue romantic relationships on board, that we should be weary of “sea goggles” but that when we arrived at Mackay at the end we should feel free to “Fill your boots”.

After this we were introduced to our watch (team) and watch leader Brodie. He’s like 29 and a sailor in the navy he grew up in country Queensland. Other people in my watch were Jess, 23 a recently graduated Vet now working in Moe. Juzzy 23ish from the Latrobe valley she works as a microbiologist. Tammy 20 something from queensland she grew up on an outback cattle property and now is a make up artist. Laura 22 a registered nurse from Launceston she lived in New Zealand when she was younger. Alex and Marty as well as Nick, 19 a business student from Sydney.
(Click on the photo below and hover over the head to see who's who).


05young endeavour 073
Originally uploaded by tommygunns.



Captain Phil's Log for today

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew flicker (or whatever it is called) could do that, nice.