Sunday, July 10, 2005

Down under Dive Osprey Intro dive

Booked for introductory scuba diving. Staff really entertaining, food O.K. but boat very crowded, wet suits pretty crappy. Attended introductory scuba-diving talk on board.
At first reef I think it was called Hastings reef snorkelled around a bit. Then it was show time got the weight belt, strapped on the buoyancy vest, hooked up the tank with twin mouthpieces. I got 2 metres underwater before freaking out and surfacing. The air was a weird sensation I wasn’t used to it felt cold in my lungs. I was taking short panicky breaths, and my lungs felt like they were expanding but not collapsing. I tried one more time then decided to save $60 and stick to snorkelling. At the next reef I took about 340MB worth of video – they’re all pretty crappy (I need to find a quicktime editor)


reef
Originally uploaded by tommygunns.



After reefing it up I thought I’d take a look at the endeavour so I’d know where to go the next day. I didn’t find it but on the way back to the hostel I was waiting at the light and a group of about 100 Japanese tourist all crossed onto my corner. There was a dude holding a sign on a pole at the front of the group and a dude with a sign at the back. Picture a lanky white dude crossing the road in a sea of shorter Japanese tourist. Walked with them for a bit then en masse they all turned into a yum cha place, pretty weird. If I remember correctly the O.K gift shop was on the opposite corner.

No comments: